At Unity School, physical education is viewed as an integral component of a child’s overall educational experience. Each student is provided the opportunity to experience success in a risk-free environment, regardless of personal ability and/or physical limitations. Class periods are planned to maximize the students’ activity time and to minimize periods of inactivity. The all-encompassing goal of the physical education program is to change one’s life by filling it with purposeful, meaningful, and enjoyable physical activity. That general goal is further divided into seven performance and behavioral standards, which are derived from the national standards set forth by the National Association of Sport and Physical Education (NASPE). At each level, the curriculum is designed to allow students to meet and exceed the following standards:
- The student demonstrates competency in many movement forms and proficiency in a few forms of physical activity.
- The student applies concepts and principles of human movement to the development of motor skills and the learning of new skills.
- The student analyzes the benefits of regular participation in physical activity.
- The student values physical activity and is a regular, active participant.
- The student achieves and maintains a health-enhancing level of physical fitness.
- The student demonstrates responsible personal and social behavior in physical activity.
- The student understands that physical activity provides the opportunity for enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and communication.